Thursday, January 31, 2013

Here I Go Again ~ A Book Review ~


Here I Go Again has a really nice book cover.  The jacket comes off and there is a little hole where the mirror is (the pink part) that you can see the actual cover through.  The actual cover has a photo of a blond girl in a pink prom dress.  I mention this because, literally, the cover is the best part of this book.  I really did not like this book.  I normally like chick lit.  I even enjoy a great 'fluff' read occasionally if it's done well.  This is not chick lit done well.  This is a cliched bunch of characters doing their best to perpetuate stereotypes wrapped up with some nice editing and a pretty cover.  Don't waste your time.  I know that it will probably be a best seller and of course there were a few funny one liners and the ending was all Hollywood happy, but I still wouldn't recommend it.  It's basically Mean Girls meets 17 Again.  It's been done...and it's been done way better.  Here's a brief synopsis of the plot...

Lissy Ryder ruled her school in 'mean girl' fashion.  She was prom queen and peopled feared her.  She married her high school sweetheart and naively thought they would rule the rest of their lives in the same manner.  Flash forward 20 years and she's now 37 and her marriage is over, she's lost her job, and she's living with her parents, sleeping in her old bedroom under the same heavy metal band posters she had in high school.  She attends her high school reunion in hopes of getting some new clients for her business and finds to her shock that everyone hates her.  She ends up getting a potion from a kooky old classmate that takes her to her past so she can relive her glory days.  Will she change anything the second time around?

It's pretty predictable, so you can probably guess how it ends.  I will say that Lissy is probably my least favorite book heroine ever.  She wasn't funny.  She has no redeeming qualities.  She wasn't a mean girl who was hurting inside.  She was just plain mean and self centered.  A true bully.  I didn't root for her.  I just wanted to get it over with.  In about the last 20 pages she completely redeems herself and changes the course of her life, but it's way too late.  I lost interest about 200 pages earlier.  In all honesty, if I hadn't committed to finishing this book, I wouldn't have read past the first 2 chapters.  Now let me tell you how I really feel...just kidding!  I already did...  :)
"This is a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are my own." 
Check out more reviews and discussion about this book here: https://www.blogher.com/bookclub/now-reading-here-i-go-again.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really realize what you are talking about!
    Bookmarked. Please additionally discuss with my site =).
    We can have a link alternate contract between us
    Check out my blog post ... seo company india

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...