Thursday, September 6, 2012

Trust Your Eyes ~ A Book Review ~


I have to start this book review by being honest and telling you that I do not ever read 'thriller' or 'suspense' books.  Ever.  I actually go out of my way to avoid them.  I find that they usually have too many characters to keep track of and I can never remember who anyone is and I get confused and annoyed and in the end I'm not really sure I ever understood the intricacies of the plot.  Sure the book was fine, but that's just it, it was fine, nothing that touched my heart and no characters that I will think about and wonder about the rest of their story.  I think these types of books are good for passing the time, but not something that I would prefer to spend my time reading.  That's my full disclosure on my opinion of the genre as a whole.

This book had a fantastic premise though.  Really...I was excited to read it and when people asked me about the book and I told them the premise, they were always intrigued.  The premise is this...a schizophrenic man who spends his days on a website called Whirl 360 (exactly like Google Earth) and thinks he is working for the CIA to memorize all the maps in the world in case someday all the maps in the world are wiped out and he can then be a hero has stumbled upon a murder in a window captured by the Whirl 360 cameras.  He and his brother who has become his caretaker after the somewhat mysterious death of their father become entangled into a world of murder and politics after they go poking where they shouldn't.  The book was fast paced and had all that you would expect from a book like this.  Politics.  Murder.  Kidnapping.  Bad cops.  Lawyers.  If you like a book to stick to that formula you will love it.  I'm not saying I didn't like it, I did.  It kept my interest and I wanted to know how it would end.  I'm not sure I'm going to be picking up more thrillers in my future because of it though.  I did find myself flipping back through pages because there were so many characters to keep track of.  Am I the only person that has to do this?  But I did like the main characters and was rooting for them.  I will say the premise made the book sound so good that maybe my expectations were a little too high which may be why I didn't like it even more.  Overall it was a pretty good book and I think if you are a fan of this genre you will definitely like it.

For more discussion about this book, head over to BlogHer Book Club.

This is a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...