Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Bathroom Before and After

I finished up this project a few weeks ago and I am so happy with it.  I mean beyond happy.  You'll see why when I get to the before pictures.  I had meaning to getting around to re-doing this little half bath on our main floor ever since we moved in...over 6 years ago...yeah, so I had a little time to think about how I wanted it to look.  I changed my mind a few times over the years, but I knew I wanted it to be light and clean.  It was never really in the budget since in my mind I wanted to get a new toilet, new vanity, new sink, new floor, pretty much new everything.  When I finally came to terms with the fact that it just wasn't going to happen I went for the budget friendly approach.  I spent about $200 on this re-do.  I'll give you a little rundown in case you're interested, but first up, the photos!

BEFORE.  
All caps so you aren't confused about the fact that I might actually put something this hideous in my house on purpose.  Ugh...the sink!  Gross.  And the orange...blah.  The previous owners had painted everything including the trim, baseboards and the back of the door this burnt orange.  It was awful.  They also painted the ceiling a sort of tan color.  The cabinet looked orange and even the floor looked orange.  And the jungle border...don't even get me started.  How did I live with this for 6 years?!  Why didn't you people intervene?!

AFTER.
I love it.  It's clean, light and fresh.  I went with a cottage feel.  The wall color is called 'cucumber' and it's a very pale green.  I bought the paint plus primer and it took 2 coats (about $30).  I also painted the ceiling white with paint we already had.  I painted the vanity white (2 coats of paint we also already had) and got new hardware for it (about $20).  I bought that light fixture at Home Depot for $30.  It's an outdoor light.  I love the look of it.  That window was one I had bought years ago for my apartment and it used to have crackle paint on it (remember when that was so popular?) so I just added a fresh coat of white and then sanded down all the edges for a more distressed look.

The art above the toilet is the same from the before photo, I just spray painted the frame white.  I did purchase a new sink top for $60 at Home Depot as well as the new faucet for $25.  I did all the installation myself with a little help from my husband and my mom.  The back splash was a complete and total afterthought but it is now my favorite thing!  When we took out the old sink and went to put on the new one we realized that the old one had come up a couple inches higher on the wall.  There was a line of caulk that had done some damage to the wall and I was so done with sanding and spackling at that point so my mom suggested we just put in a back splash to cover it.  Off to Home Depot again and they had these mosaic tiles on sale and I only needed two 12"x12" squares which cost less than $10.  I bought premixed grout for about $6 and the rest of the supplies and tools I already had from previous projects.  I'm thinking about tiling my kitchen next!

There you have it!  Some of the best money I have ever spent!  I love it so much and it goes with the rest of my house now.  I also no longer feel the need to apologize and explain to people about why my bathroom is so ugly.  I still need to find a little towel bar and a toilet paper holder (who knew those things were so expensive?!) but I can live with it like this for at least another 6 years or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...