Thursday, October 1, 2009

Opportunity Knocks

I like to take pictures.  You know that if you've read my blog before.  I think I do an okay job and I'm pretty happy with the photos that I take.  But I tend to have an inferiority complex about pretty much everything in my life.  So when people tell me I take great pictures, I'm like yeah, thanks, you're so nice but I don't completely believe them.  Maybe it's because I read so many photography blogs so I have super high expectations.  Or because I've been a perfectionist since my birth, so I hold myself to incredibly high standards ~ which I am working on by the way ~ note my blog title.  But I still have that nagging feeling that if I can't be the best at something, then why bother? 

I took some pictures of my niece when she was born.  I did a little photo shoot trying to make them look 'professional'.  I sent a slideshow to her parents and all of my family.  Then the compliments poured in.  And now that my mom and brother show them off to everyone people have been asking how much I would charge to take their pictures.  Which is awesome because for one it's a compliment that people would actually pay me to do something I love.  But here is where my tendency to be my own worst critic becomes a problem.  I feel bad charging people when I feel like I'm not good enough yet.  I know I could do so much better with more practice and better equipment.  I mean, I just have a regular digital slr, not a super fancy one that a professional would use. 

I've been saying that once both my kids are in school I want to become a professional photographer.  I really do.  I just have this timeline in my head of things I want to do first, like take some classes, buy some better lenses, learn how to use a flash (I'm really bad with it), set up a website, hash out my prices, etc, etc.  But people want me to take their pictures now.   Which isn't part of my plan.  Maybe God has a better plan.  I don't know, but I guess I better get my act in gear and figure out what I'm doing, because I don't want to let opportunity pass me by.  And maybe on the job training is the best kind.  We'll see. 

3 comments:

  1. 1. I only give sincere compliments. If I don't like it, I'll let you know.
    2. Stop waiting. You have the talent and desire, the rest will work itself out.
    3. I expect a discount.
    4. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying again for a comment. I say you go girl!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...